Got news of a few recent recordings that look like coming out…
- The first Catatumbo album should be on it’s way this October, coming out on Babel. Catatumbo is the trio of Ingrid Laubrock, Javier Carmona and me. Alex Bonney did a great job of recording us at the Vortex on our tour last November, and that some of that recording will be coming out on LP, CDR and digital download pretty soon. You can hear a bit of the concert (that won’t be on the album) on the ‘listen’ page of this website. We’re looking at touring April next year, details on here as they materialise…
- The recording Mikolaj Trzaska, Mark Sanders and I did last May seems to have found a home as well – should be coming out on No Business sometime next year. Another live recording, this time recorded by Chris Trent, in Birmingham.
- And finally, the Nick Malcolm Quartet (with Alexander Hawkins and Mark Whitlam) did a couple of days recording recently. We had a lot of fun, and again Alex Bonney got a great sound. Hopefully that’ll be mixed and on its way to labels pretty soon!
I’ve recently started playing again with Dave Birchall (guitar) and Phillip Marks (drums). I used to play a lot with both of them separately when I first started gigging, with Dave in a folk/post-rock/improv band called ‘Our Beautiful Ridiculous Plan’ and with Phil in various jazz and improv settings. The two musicians I played with most frequently when I lived in Manchester, but last week was the first time we’d done anything together. Anyway, its great to be working with them again, looking forward to developing the project.
Here’s a couple of zoom recordings of our recent jam:
We’ll be touring sometime early next year, info on here as always….
I’ve been really enjoying playing in Nick Malcolm’s quartet the past few months. The band is Nick on trumpet and flugelhorn, Alexander Hawkins on piano and Mark Whitlam on drums. The material is orginals by Nick, a couple by me, and the odd Monk tune. A real blend of free playing, structures and more melodic material.
We’ve got a few nice gigs coming up; The Vortex next Monday (11/07/11), and then Manchester (25/07/11) and Ealing (31/07/11) Jazz Festivals.
We’ll be recording an album in August, details on here when it’s ready for release…
I’ve posted a couple of tracks on the ‘listen’ page of this website from a recent gig by the new Olie Brice Quartet. They’re not very hi-fi, and Leon is on Rhodes in the absence of piano, but I think they capture some of what we’re trying to do all the same.
If your appetite is whetted and you want to hear the real thing, we’ll be at the Vortex on October 11th.
Another really good review of Brackish, (by Brian Morton), here:
and there’s one in the new Jazzwise too, but that’s not on-line…
Looking forward to a tour starting this tuesday, with Mikolaj Trzaska on alto sax and clarinets, and Mark Sanders on drums.
Mikolaj is a fantastic player, works with the likes of Peter Brotzmann and Ken Vandermark. Anyone reading this is bound to know Mark’s playing! We did some playing as a quartet with Steve Swell (on trombone) about a year ago – which was great, so I’m sure we’ll have a lot of fun this time round. Here’s the details:
- 24/05/11- Krakow, Alchemia
- 25/05/11 – Lodz, Jazzga
- 26/05/11 – Dublin, Centre for Creative Practices, 15 Pembroke Street
- 27/05/11 – Birmingham, The Station, Kings Heath
- 28/05/11 – London, Cafe Posk
- 29/05/11 – Newcastle, The Bridge Hotel
Edit after the tour – We had a great time! There’s a nice review here:
and some footage here: