The Catatumbo album is available to pre-order (ships early June, but you can get it before then by coming to our album launch…) Recorded live at the Vortex during our November 2011 tour, it’s been released in a rather gorgeous package by Babel. 180g vinyl, gatefold sleeve with fantastic artwork by Jethro Brice (my brother) and a glass mastered CD thrown in, or alternatively downloadable in most formats, from here:
you can also buy the CD separately, but it seems not at that website, so you’ll to come to a gig or email me if that’s your preference…
We’ll be launching the album properly with a gig at the Vortex, on 21/05/12
The debut album by BABs is now out, download only, on mini-Loop. You can find it here:
BABs is James Allsopp on bass clarinet, me, and Alex Bonney processing us in real time. We’re launching the album on 20/01/12, at Cafe Oto. That gig is also the album launch for Icarus’ new album, the most exciting new electronic music I’ve come across in years, do check it out… details here:
Here’s updates on a few things:
- The Catatumbo album due out on Babel has been rescheduled, now due out next March. It’s quite a package, 180g gram vinyl, gatefold with gorgeous artwork by Jethro Brice, and a CD thrown in for good measure. I think there’ll be an option of buying just a CD as well.
- Been having a lot of fun playing in a new trio, BABs, with Alex Bonney on laptop and James Allsopp on bass clarinet. We’ve just finished mixing and mastering our album, which will be released in January on mini-loop records, download only (initially at least). Album launch / debut gig at Cafe Oto on Jan 20th, on a bill with DJ Inchtime and the astonishing Icarus, who are also launching their new album. More information here…
- And finally, looking forward to touring in the new year with another new trio, Birchall / Brice / Marks. Tour info on the Gigs page, we’ve also got a recording ready to go, will write something up here when we work out what we’re doing with it!
Got news of a few recent recordings that look like coming out…
- The first Catatumbo album should be on it’s way this October, coming out on Babel. Catatumbo is the trio of Ingrid Laubrock, Javier Carmona and me. Alex Bonney did a great job of recording us at the Vortex on our tour last November, and that some of that recording will be coming out on LP, CDR and digital download pretty soon. You can hear a bit of the concert (that won’t be on the album) on the ‘listen’ page of this website. We’re looking at touring April next year, details on here as they materialise…
- The recording Mikolaj Trzaska, Mark Sanders and I did last May seems to have found a home as well – should be coming out on No Business sometime next year. Another live recording, this time recorded by Chris Trent, in Birmingham.
- And finally, the Nick Malcolm Quartet (with Alexander Hawkins and Mark Whitlam) did a couple of days recording recently. We had a lot of fun, and again Alex Bonney got a great sound. Hopefully that’ll be mixed and on its way to labels pretty soon!
I’m pleased to announce the release of a duo album with the great flautist Neil Metcalfe. The album is called ‘brackish’, and is on FMR. It was beautifully recorded, mixed and mastered by Sherry Ostapovitch.
Neil and I have been playing together every week for about a year and a half now. We initially worked together in a quartet with Mark Hanslip on tenor and Tony Marsh on drums, and also did a quartet gig with Evan Parker and Tony Marsh. We decided to start playing as an acoustic duo, and the process of developing that together has been one of the most rewarding musical experiences I’ve had.
If you’d like to hear where the process had reached last August, you can buy a copy either from FMR, or directly from me by clicking here (£10.50 inc postage within the UK, for international postage please email olie at riseup.net):