I’m really pleased to have a couple of gigs coming up with the Olie Brice Quartet, at two of my favourite London venues. The current line-up of the quartet features Mark Hanslip on tenor, Alex Bonney on trumpet (and pocket trumpet!) and Jeff Williams on drums.
We’re playing at the Oxford in Kentish Town on the 18th March, and the Amersham Arms in New Cross on the 19th March (a double bill with the Martin Kolarides Trio)
Before then (11th March) Alex, Jeff and I will be appearing as the Alex Bonney Trio, at the Vortex. Alex writes beautiful music, and his trio is one of my favourite bands to play in. The evening will be a shared bill, with a solo piano set from the extraordinary Alexander Hawkins, so should be a bit special…
Really looking forward to touring in September with Ken Vandermark and Mark Sanders. Got (almost) all the details sorted, here’s the dates:
24/09/12 – Manchester. Kraak Space, Stevenson Place (off Stevenson Square) M1 1DB. 7.30pm. £8 advance. www.buriedbones.co.uk (joint promotion with Noise Upstairs)
25/09/12 – Newcastle. The Cluny, 36 Lime Street, NE1 2PQ. 8.30pm. £12 / £8 concs / £5 students advance from 0191 230 4474. www.schmazz.co.uk (joint promotion with Jazz North East)
26/09/12 – Birmingham. Hare & Hounds, 106 High Street, King’s Heath, B14 7JZ. 8.30pm. £8. www.jazzlines.co.uk
27/09/12 – London. The Vortex, 11 Gillett Square, Dalston, N16 8AZ. 8.30pm. £12. www.vortexjazz.co.uk
28/09/12 – Brighton. The Open House, 146 Springfield Road, BN1 6BZ. 8pm. £6. www.safehousebrighton.co.uk
29/09/12 – Dublin. Whelan’s Upstairs, Wexford St, Dublin 2. 8pm. €14/12 www.improvisedmusic.ie
The Catatumbo album is available to pre-order (ships early June, but you can get it before then by coming to our album launch…) Recorded live at the Vortex during our November 2011 tour, it’s been released in a rather gorgeous package by Babel. 180g vinyl, gatefold sleeve with fantastic artwork by Jethro Brice (my brother) and a glass mastered CD thrown in, or alternatively downloadable in most formats, from here:
you can also buy the CD separately, but it seems not at that website, so you’ll to come to a gig or email me if that’s your preference…
We’ll be launching the album properly with a gig at the Vortex, on 21/05/12
The debut album by BABs is now out, download only, on mini-Loop. You can find it here:
BABs is James Allsopp on bass clarinet, me, and Alex Bonney processing us in real time. We’re launching the album on 20/01/12, at Cafe Oto. That gig is also the album launch for Icarus’ new album, the most exciting new electronic music I’ve come across in years, do check it out… details here:
Here’s updates on a few things:
- The Catatumbo album due out on Babel has been rescheduled, now due out next March. It’s quite a package, 180g gram vinyl, gatefold with gorgeous artwork by Jethro Brice, and a CD thrown in for good measure. I think there’ll be an option of buying just a CD as well.
- Been having a lot of fun playing in a new trio, BABs, with Alex Bonney on laptop and James Allsopp on bass clarinet. We’ve just finished mixing and mastering our album, which will be released in January on mini-loop records, download only (initially at least). Album launch / debut gig at Cafe Oto on Jan 20th, on a bill with DJ Inchtime and the astonishing Icarus, who are also launching their new album. More information here…
- And finally, looking forward to touring in the new year with another new trio, Birchall / Brice / Marks. Tour info on the Gigs page, we’ve also got a recording ready to go, will write something up here when we work out what we’re doing with it!
I’ve got my first ever solo gig coming up, next Wednesday (October 5th) at St Leonard’s Church in Shoreditch, London.
Excited and nervous in roughly equal parts!
It’s a double bill with the wonderfully named ‘Why Camels Have No Wings’ (Daniel Thompson / Will Connor / Matt Chilton and Kay Grant).
Edit: Here’s a couple of tracks from the gig:
Got news of a few recent recordings that look like coming out…
- The first Catatumbo album should be on it’s way this October, coming out on Babel. Catatumbo is the trio of Ingrid Laubrock, Javier Carmona and me. Alex Bonney did a great job of recording us at the Vortex on our tour last November, and that some of that recording will be coming out on LP, CDR and digital download pretty soon. You can hear a bit of the concert (that won’t be on the album) on the ‘listen’ page of this website. We’re looking at touring April next year, details on here as they materialise…
- The recording Mikolaj Trzaska, Mark Sanders and I did last May seems to have found a home as well – should be coming out on No Business sometime next year. Another live recording, this time recorded by Chris Trent, in Birmingham.
- And finally, the Nick Malcolm Quartet (with Alexander Hawkins and Mark Whitlam) did a couple of days recording recently. We had a lot of fun, and again Alex Bonney got a great sound. Hopefully that’ll be mixed and on its way to labels pretty soon!
I’ve recently started playing again with Dave Birchall (guitar) and Phillip Marks (drums). I used to play a lot with both of them separately when I first started gigging, with Dave in a folk/post-rock/improv band called ‘Our Beautiful Ridiculous Plan’ and with Phil in various jazz and improv settings. The two musicians I played with most frequently when I lived in Manchester, but last week was the first time we’d done anything together. Anyway, its great to be working with them again, looking forward to developing the project.
Here’s a couple of zoom recordings of our recent jam:
We’ll be touring sometime early next year, info on here as always….
I’ve been really enjoying playing in Nick Malcolm’s quartet the past few months. The band is Nick on trumpet and flugelhorn, Alexander Hawkins on piano and Mark Whitlam on drums. The material is orginals by Nick, a couple by me, and the odd Monk tune. A real blend of free playing, structures and more melodic material.
We’ve got a few nice gigs coming up; The Vortex next Monday (11/07/11), and then Manchester (25/07/11) and Ealing (31/07/11) Jazz Festivals.
We’ll be recording an album in August, details on here when it’s ready for release…